1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Sportster Seat

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by sixpac, Apr 21, 2004.

1. sixpac

sixpac New Member

Hello can someone give me advice on a touring seat for my 03 883r. :)
  2. Seahag

Seahag New Member

testamonial

I can't recommend anything specific for a sporty...but after reading several testamonials myself, I decided to put a mustang saddle on my glide and I couldn't be happier :D I can now ride four times the distance in comfort that I could with that ugly pillow seat that came stock. You can order them here at a pretty good discount from direct parts and they shipped mine free since it was over $300. I've never felt like it was wasted money and when I buy my next bike...a mustang seat will likely be my first accessory.
  3. Ole Blue

Ole Blue New Member

Seat suggestion

Ole Blue here, and since I have next to no meat on my butt, I may be able to offer some suggestions on seats.

I've been running Mustang seats for a few years now and was not particularly impressed witht the overstuffed 2-up seat I had. After about an hour or two, I can read the serial numbers on a dollar bill laying on my oil tank !

I recently purchased a Mustang wide solo seat for my '75 shovel, mostly for looks and to lend some old time look (street camo) to my sleeper. I was so happy with the new seat that I had to write to Mustang & let them know. I also asked for 6-8 extra rubber bumpers they use under the seat to keep it off of your paint. Within 3 days, I had a thank-you note, the bumpers, and a few stickers for the old tool box. All in all, great service.

I was riding another guys Wide-Glide last week and he had a "biker-gel" seat from LeParra, and it was absolutely tits ! I think I'll buy a sheet of this material (dry polymer) and use it as a drape for long rides.

Look for "Jereh"s website & catalog. These folks are the only people I ever saw, that will dicker over their published catalog prices. The rule of thumb is, they'll offer you this discount (usually between 10%-40% depending on their markup) after you've spent a ton of $$$ with them. I was lucky, got a great saleswoman, and got the discount from minute one. Any order over $75.00 ships free... anywhere. Parts are usually at the door in no more than 3 days. Great service. Their catalog looks like a New York City phone book too !

Good luck. Good looks do not always make a good seat.

Ole Blue
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

OlBlues right looks isnt everything although it helps if it looks good LOL

best bet is to get to a bike event, Sturgis, Daytona, Laughlin, Vegas, etc where Mustang, Corbin, Saddlemen etc have setup booths and you can sit on the seat.

I personally like corbins dual touring seat it has a very firm saddle like you sit on a horse with but many find it too hard. the thing I like is the saddle doesn't compress over time so at 300 miles or 30 miles you're sitting in the same place. Corbin does have a rep for poor customer service in that they have a no return policy you buy and ride you own, they say the seat forms to your butt and they cannot resell the seat, part bs maybe part truth, but you either love corbin seats or you dont.

Mustangs are good and usually softer nothing wrong with them

Point is you need to try a few out at the meets or find an indy that sells them and will let you sit on one. Be advised 30 seconds isn't indicative of 300 miles in the same seat.

HD's stock seats are famous for compressing down and letting you ride the frame that's why you see so many others out there IMHO.